Saturday, June 29, 2024

Sc 2 blueprint

INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT

Tom and Wanda in bed in pajamas, reading, both with glasses. Curtains closed across window above bed. Lamps, phones, eyeglass cases on their respective nightstands. Clock on Wanda’s, TV remote on Tom’s. We can’t see the book in Tom’s lap. Wanda turns a page of a paperback copy of James Michener’s Hawaii.

TOM: How are things goin’

WANDA: The missionaries are arriving.

TOM: Wonder how that’ll go.

She smiles. Tom turns a page.

WANDA: Does Foglost make any sense yet?

TOM; Well, we gotta fella with a drinkin’ problem. I reckon that’s one sorta fogginess. And he’s just had a dream about bein’ near a canoe on a rocky beach near a lighthouse. Wouldn’t be too surprised to see that come into play. But he’s always full a surprises and a master of misdirection. 

WANDA: I can’t wait for my turn.

TOM: I just might finish it in the room tomorrow night.

WANDA:  Should we do a horseback ride?

TOM: You know that’s a yes.

WANDA: hills or beach, sunrise or sunset. Maybe you can take a look and decide.

TOM: I’ll sure do that.

A lull. 

TOM: So whaddya suppose the chances are we’ll get lei’s while we’re there?

Wide-eyed Wanda puts book in lap, looks at Tom.

WANDA: Who are you?

Tom looks at her, deadpan.

TOM: What? Ain’t that what they call them flower necklaces they give ya? A lei.

Wanda shakes her head. Tom smiles.

WANDA: Yes. A lei. Although I think it’s technically a wreath or garland.

TOM;  Oh.Seems like I remember seein’ a movie where folks was gettin’ ‘em soon as they get off thre plane.

WANDA: I suspect some airlines do thst but I don’t think ours does.

TOM: Oh.

WANDA: But I have a very strong feeling we’ll get lei’s when we get to our hotel.

He looks at her, she looks at him. Smiles. They put their books on their nightstands glasses in their cases, turn off their lamps at the same time.

BEDSPRING SQUEAK IN BLACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment