Sunday, May 19, 2024

scene 39

Previous.

INT. TOM'S/WANDA'S DINING ROOM - SUNRISE

Stove clock at 6:59. Wanda in robe and slippers, at the table with mug of steaming coffee, attention on her laptop screen and the online version of the Laramie Boomerang newspaper reflected in her glasses. Phone on the Hawaiian Travel brochure. She smiles when her PHONE PLAYS TOM'S RINGTONE. She minimizes screen to screensaver TBD, picks up.

WANDA: Well you're on the road early.

Oh. Hello, Hunter. 

Yes I'm here. I'm just...Hunter, I hope it's alright if I call you back.

Thank you. Do you mind please texting me your phone number.

Thank you. I need a moment. Or two.

Thank you. Goodbye.

(She stares at her phone, screen filled with selfie Tom has taken TBD. She  sets phone face-down, stares at the screensaver, touches Tom's face with a fingertip.)

(WHISPERS): Tom.

(Closes her eyes, places hands together in front of her, bows head, sobs.)


INT. HUNTER'S GUEST ROOM - DAY

Chloe, face crying-stained, stands next to Hunter near the desk, Hunter sets Tom's phone down.  They stare at Tom's body. Finally:

HUNTER: Come on.

He gets phone from pocket, leads Chloe into the hall.

HUNTER (CONT. O.S.) I need to report a death that has occurred at my residence. 

No.

Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment