Monday, April 22, 2024

scene 11

Previously.

EXT. EL PASO INTERNATION AIRPORT SHORT TERM PARKING LOT - DAY 

Hunter and CHLOE, 16, the girl in the soccer and surfing photographs, walk through the lot. Hunter, sunglasses on, totes a pink roller-case. Chloe in running shoes, tracksuit, with a backpack, keeps her gaze on the ground ahead of her, just like Hunter.

CHLOE: And I was nervous about meeting Jackie.

HUNTER: Well Jackie's nervous about meeting you.

CHLOE: Horse day still on?

HUNTER: Still on. She'll be by around ten.

CHLOE: Can I tell mom about Tom?

HUNTER: I already did.

CHLOE: Oh.

HUNTER: She was with grams and gramps so I'm sure they know too.

CHLOE: They came with to the airport. What's he driving?

HUNTER: Old pickup.

CHLOE: How old is old?

HUNTER: I'd place it early nineties.

CHLOE: A fossil.

HUNTER: A well-kept fossil.

He KEY-CHIRPS THE ROVER, puts roller-cart in back. Chloe puts her backpack in the seat behind front passenger, gets in front passenger seat, followed by Hunter behind the wheel. 

HUNTER: Chloe, I'll understand if you'd rather I'd sent him along to come back later.

CHLOE: Which you would have done in a heartbeat if you felt anything was the least bit maybe not about the vibe. Right?

Hunter nods.

CHLOE (CONT.) Right. And mom signed off because she knows the same. Right?

HUNTER: I think so.

CHLOE: Right. And I'm the one who's always said I wish he'd show up were he alive.

HUNTER: He's alive.

CHLOE: And he's here. Wish come true, right?

HUNTER: I guess we'll see.

CHLOE: I guess we will. Besides, as grampa says, later isn't guaranteed. Is it?

HUNTER: It is not.

CHLOE: And too late can't be undone. Can it?

HUNTER: It cannot. 

He starts the engine.

HUNTER (CONT.) Buckle up, sweetheart.

They buckle up. Hunter backs out of frame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment